Sunday, January 21, 2018

0: next, please

This screenshot comes from the collection of links at the start of this assignment. From the “duplicate status” link, I was drawn in and began clicking through the pictures. I realized that I liked looking at the next and previous arrows as they lit up when the mouse got near the arrow. The lighting up aspect gave the arrow an anthropomorphic quality, as if it were a loved one’s face lighting up as I walked in the room.

Those happy feelings, even if they are subconscious, drive my obsession to click the arrow. The collection of intriguing images certainly enhances this obsession, as I’m curious about what witty or interesting thing I might see next. Even when the next image isn’t as wonderful as I had hoped, I have faith that there is a gem in there somewhere. It’s almost like a gambling addiction, but instead of cash, I’m gambling my life away in hopes of that “big win” in the funny or interesting image department.